Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Igloo Food Fight - The Plaid Penguin vs. Papi Queso Food Truck

I'm ONLY almost 30 but I have an old soul. I'm tired by 9pm every night. Binge watching Netflix with Mark and Watson is more exciting than going out. I already talk about what technologies (or lack there of) "youths" will never experience. I don't understand most social media platforms except for Facebook. I haven't made much of an effort to engage in the Twitter, Tumblr and Vine communities.

Over the past several weeks I have become more of an avid Instagram user though. Since we are new to the Charlotte area I have found it to be a useful tool in learning about local businesses and events. I search for posts with hashtags such as #clt, #queencity, #qc, etc and browse through different photos and profiles.


Recently I discovered The Plaid Penguin, a consultant group for the food and drink industry. They posted a contest to submit a photo of your interpretation of penguins and sandwiches. Winners of the challenge would serve as a sandwich judge between The Plaid Penguin staff and the Papi Queso Food Truck. I searched for the #igloofoodfight hashtag and only a few people had entered. Many of entrees were photos from Google searches or paintings/drawings, so I was inspired to submit my entree using food. I made my penguin using manchego cheese, an olive and pieces of a carrot.


Since I am still job searching I have to make more of an effort to fill up my schedule during the week. I saw this as a great opportunity to meet people and network while eating free food. Fortunately for me my photo was selected (YAY!) and I served as a judge.


For the competition we judged two Cubano sandwiches. If you are not familiar with a Cubano it is a grilled sandwich with ham, pork, cheese, mustard, and pickles. The movie "Chef" has a good representation of how it is made. We were given a scorecard and Sandwich A and Sandwich B. We did not know which team made each sandwich to remain impartial. Bribery was on the table though.


(A bribe)

Sandwich A was served in a cigar box and wrapped in parchment to keep the sandwich together. The bread was PERFECT and there was a good balance of the ingredients. The sandwich was served with rice and beans and thick cut fries.


Sandwich B was also served in a cigar box and with a flag (nice touch). The sandwich was a bit heavy on the pickles and was messy to eat. Herbed potato chips were served on the side.


Both sandwiches were great and the decision was very hard. If the sandwiches were part of a menu, I would order them, rave about them and recommend them to everyone I know. There had to be a winner though. I voted for Sandwich A which was the overall winner of the competition. Sandwich A was created by the Papi Queso Food Truck.


The event was a great time and I am glad I was able to participate. This was one of many Igloo Food Fights to come so follow The Plaid Penguin on Instagram to learn more!

-Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Stalking you already; lol! Everything you said in the 1st paragraph of this blog post speaks to me. I have an instagram account for my photos, but I never thought to use it as a gateway to the city; what a wonderful idea! So cool how you got to be a judge. Well deserved too because that cheese & olive penguin is adorable! Wonderful meeting you tonight. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete